Elbow of Cross Ledge - Delaware Bay




History | Characteristics | Keepers | Visiting Info
______________________________________

History

A temporary light was constructed on the site in 1907 and stood until the permanent light could be completed in 1910. It was constructed because it was believed that this location would better serve shipping interest than the Cross Ledge Lighthouse site. A hurricane damaged this structure so badly that the keepers had to be removed. The light was then powered by an underwater cable. On October 20, 1953, the lighthouse was rammed by the freighter Steel Apprentice that was picking its way through dense fog as it traveled up the Delaware Bay. The upper 2/3rds of the brick structure were knocked into the bay. In 1954, an automated lighthouse was installed on the original caisson base.

Light Characteristics


Keepers


2006 NJLHS