History | Characteristics |
Keepers | Visiting
This 115 foot tall iron tower with skeleton support
structure was constructed in 1877, at 39° 37' 02" by 75°
32' 03". The iron rings that make up the tower were driven
to the site by Army mule trains driven by soldiers. It was
automated in 1939, but discontinued in 1951, due to a
change in the shipping channel. The keeper's house was
demolished in 1977 after being repeatedly damaged by
vandals. Other than the lighthouse itself, the oil house
is the only remaining original structure.
In 1981 local citizens formed a "Save the Lighthouse
Committee" spearheaded by Mrs. Betty Husarik, a local
businesswomen, and successfully lobbied Congress to
appropriate funds to refurbish the tower.
The lighthouse is usually open the third Sunday of each
month from April to October from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. The
lighthouse is on the National Register of Historic
Places, and is situated near the junction of Fort Mott
& Lighthouse Roads in Pennsville, New Jersey. It is
part of Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.
Finns Point Front Range Light
Courtesy US Coast Guard