A lighthouse was erected on Ludlum Beach in 1885, 20
nautical miles SW of the Absecon Lighthouse in Atlantic
City at 39° 09' 42" latitude by 74° 41' 05" longitude.
The lantern had an elevation of 36 feet above sea level,
with a white fourth-order light.
The light flashed once every 15 seconds and was visible
about 11 1/4 nautical miles.
One of the keepers was Joshua H. Reeves, who was
transferred to Ludlum from Barnegat Lighthouse on
October 2, 1885. It is believed he was the lights' first
keeper. He served the Ludlum Beach Lighthouse until his
retirement on August 6, 1946. It is very likely that he
was the only keeper.
In 1923, after a fire in the lighthouse probably caused
by a keeper's pet knocking over a kerosene lamp, the
lighthouse was replaced by an automatic steel tower.
Keeper Reeves job title was changed to "Lamplighter" at
this time. The lighthouse was sold and moved to the
corner of 31st Street and the beach. Sometime in the
1940's it was again moved to 3414 Landis Avenue, Sea
Isle City. It is a private residence today.
The steel tower was designed on nautical charts as "Fl
6sec. 45ft. 12m.", which indicates a 45 foot tower with
a light that flashes every 6 seconds and is visible for
12 miles. The tower was electrified and had two bulbs,
both with red sectors; the second bulb swinging into
place when the first bulb burned out.
Due to failure to relocate the lighthouse, on September
21, 2010. the lighthouse was torn down