There is very little known about these
beacons, they appear to have been a series of range
lights on the Shrewsbury River, that were lighted
seasonally, from spring thaw to whenever the river
became unnavigatable due to ice. It does not seem that
each light had a resident keeper, rather, they may
have been caretaker's that periodically serviced the
The National Archives in Sutcliff,
Maryland has a journals from the station that covers
the period June 4, 1898 to April 19, 1929. Below is
some information that was extracted from those
The station is referred to as the
"Light-Station at The Shrewsbury River Beacon". It had
5 white and 2 red lights, although which of these was
in which station is unclear. All of the lights were
put into operation on June 4, 1898 being first lighted
at 7:26 p.m. Most of the journals note the weather and
amount of oil consumed.
The entry for December 11, 1898 notes
that "all lights in the Shrewsbury River discontinued
for the season of 1898."
- June 1, 1899 re-lit - January 1, 1900
- April 16, 1900 relit - December 17, 1900
- March 18, 1901 relit - December 17, 1901
- An inspection by Stuart T. Woods on October 29,
1901 is noted and the lights are said to be in "very
- March 17, 1902 relit - December 16, 1902
- March 17, 1903 relit - December 19, 1903
- March 23, 1904 - relit - December 15, 1904
- May 1, 1904 An inspection mentions the stations in
good condition throughout. H. W. Harrison,
- July 29, 1904 entry mentions Sands Point Light out
the rest OK.
- August 5, 1904 Northwest Point Light mentioned.
- December 15, 1904 reports "All lights discontinued
by reason of it being impossible to navigate the
Shrewsbury River on the account of ice."
- February 26, 1906 - Rocky Point Light mentioned.
- March 17, 1905 - relit.
- June 14, 1905 - All lights lit by acetylene gas.
- October 4, 1905 Lower Rock Point mentioned.
A second volume covers the period from
July 1, 1907 to June 30, 1915. The third volume covers
the period July 3, 1915 to April 19, 1929.
A December, 1915, entry mentions Low
Moor, Northwest Point, Little Silver, Goose Neck
The Annual Report of the Light-House
Board for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1902,
reports the following:
402 to 410. Shrewsbury
River beacons, New Jersey. --A brick oil house
402. United States Dike beacon No. 1. -- A
brick oil house was built.
403. United States Dike beacon No. 3. -- A
brick oil house was built.
404. Lower Rocky Point beacon No. 2. -- the
beacon was rebuilt and reestablished on May 5, 1902.
406. Northwest Point beacon, No. 2 A. --
Lanterns with equipment were delivered, and the light
was established on May 20, 1902.
408. Goose Neck Point beacon lights, No. 11, New
Jersey. --Lanterns with all equipments were
delivered, and the light was established on May 5,
409. Cooks Sedges beacon light, No. 13, New Jersey.
--This beacon was completed on May 5 and was
established on May 20, 1902.
The names of the lights seem to be:
Cooks Sedges beacon light, No. 13
Goose Neck Point beacon lights, No. 11
Lower Rocky Point beacon No. 2
Northwest Point beacon, No. 2 A. - about 73° 59' 00"
by 40° 23' 00"
Sands Point Light
United States Dike beacon No. 1
United States Dike beacon No. 3